2013/06/14

Adventures in Sierra Nevada Land: Clover's Rabbit Hutch Part I

Clover the Bunny is exremely fluffy and cute
In my ReBoot, I offered a dedicated post to Clover's rabbit hutch. I have so many fun images that I've split it into two parts. The story begins in Mills River, North Carolina where Sierra Nevada Brewing Company is busy constructing the largest 'craft brewery' I could ever imagine.

Through Kitty Love of the Asheville Area Arts Council, I learned of a call to local artisans: to collect and make good use of abundant crates and pallets before they should be turned to mulch!
pallets built with a 17-foot diameter arc to transport stainless steel fermentation tanks
These pallets are built with a 17-foot diameter arc to transport 60-foot tall stainless steel fermentation tanks from Germany! You can see some of the tanks towering in the background.
(no shortage of plywood scraps)
It just goes on and on. These images don't even show everything. Don, the Site Manager, took me around from pile to pile so I could see what was available. Along the way he educated me on Sierra Nevada's green building initiatives. However, I wasn't permitted to take images of the actual building sites.
endless array of pallet wood available at Sierra Nevada's new Mills River brewery.
We joked that the stack pictured below is only lacking a few posts and drying in and you have an instant cabin with a deck!
solid timbers and straight clear boards were used to construct these German engineered crates
 Unfortunately, two standard sized pallets was all that I could fit into the Love Machine that day.
Asheville Love Machine can hold only two standard pallets

Back home, I set to the task of deconstructing my scrawny pallets. The larger one contained some decent boards and lumber. Virtually all of the wood available was heat-treated and so dimensionally stable and (relatively) free of insects.
pallets made of heat treated lumber
 (below you can see the 'HT' stamp)
juju jar sits on top of my deconstructed pallets
(the Juju jar is quickly filled with scrap nails)

The next day, I lured Justin into the fray. He came for a short visit with Charlie.
huge spikes fastened the pine cross timbers to the load-carrying members
 Yup, almost Nine-Inch-Nails.
We grabbed three long pallets similar to the one below. The largest was a couple feet longer than this one.
long pallet of sturdy German construction, heat treated lumber
Cutting the boards loose proved to be the quickest way of disassembly. Someone in Germany went overboard with the ring-shank nails . . .
eiht ring-shank nails on ach board was too much for my little nail puller
 We agreed that for the use of his truck, Justin should take the choice material: straight clean pine timbers.
pine timbers and cross timbers cut free of pallet boards

We had two other helpers along that day and they were thrilled to tour the Brewery site. After all, they were required to wear hard hats. This one is destined to have his tongue carried away by birds:
sturdy little helper stands up a timber over twice his size
 They did a wonderful job of neatly stacking the boards upstairs in my workshop.
little helpers have expert stacking skills
Just kidding; I had to do that part. But they did happily bring it all upstairs while Justin and I were busy cutting and whacking away.

The next day, I graded and stacked the wood; now I am ready to get to it!

synchronicity in grading wood: sixteen boards were exactly what I needed for the task at hand
How's this for synchronicity? Sixteen prime boards (relatively uncupped, unbowed, unchecked & untwisted) and the number sixteen randomly appears twice. In the end I needed exactly these sixteen boards for siding on Clover's rabbit hutch . . .
apple-shaped wood grain surrounds a knot hold next to the Juju jar
I might make a cutting board from the top piece there. I wonder, would that knothole be annoying or useful?

No comments:

Post a Comment